You should make sure that you have found a new place to live before you leave your home. You may not be able to get help from your city council if you leave a house where you could have stayed. Learn more about housing assistance. Ask your landlord or agent to agree to the termination of the lease if you think you have been misled. If they don`t agree and you leave anyway, they can try to sue you for unpaid rent. The court decides whether you can perform the contract. If your landlord agrees to receive a new tenant, make sure you get your landlord`s agreement in writing. The agreement must clearly state that your lease is over and that a new lease has been established for the new tenant.